As seen on television
Breasts can lose their natural fullness and begin to sag due to ageing, weight loss or breastfeeding. Some women are simply unhappy with the size, shape, symmetry, or position of their breasts. A breast augmentation with lift aims to create perkier breasts and add fullness to restore the breast’s shape. It combines mastopexy (a breast lift) and implants and is usually performed as two operations.
Two-stage Breast Lift with a Secondary Breast Augmentation
Dr Beldholm performs the breast lift first. If after this you like to enhance your upper breast fullness an implant may be needed, and this would be planned approximately six months after your initial breast lift. He has found that performing the procedure in two stages minimises potential complications that can occur compared to doing it all in one surgery. Some patients also find that after having a breast lift, they no longer feel the need to have an implant later on.
Our plan for you
1. Call (02) 4934 5700 for an appointment.
2. Meet with Dr Beldholm for your consultation and 3D Crisalix imaging.
3. Start your breast augmentation and lift surgical journey.
4. See your results!
Why Choose Dr Beldholm for Your Hunter Valley Breast Lift with Augmentation?
Dr Bernard Beldholm and his staff will be pleased to guide you as you consider breast lift and breast augmentation surgery. They are devoted to helping you navigate the process from initial consultation to recovery. Their focus is on making sure you feel comfortable before moving forward with the operation and answering all your questions so you can make an informed choice. Having performed more than 10,000 surgical procedures in his career, Dr Beldholm is well-versed in the latest breast lift and breast augmentation techniques. He also offers a variety of breast implant styles to choose from, along with Crisalix 3D Imaging so you can preview your surgical results before making a final decision.
Step 1: Private Consultation
There are many options for your surgery and these will be discussed with you during your consultation. Dr Beldholm will recommend an option that is customised for you and your body based on his vast experience, having performed thousands of surgical procedures over the past decade. The decision to undergo any surgery will be made after it has been determined that it is safe for you to do so and that the results will match your expectations. By the end of the consultation your questions and doubts will be answered so you can make an informed decision.
If you decide to proceed, Dr Beldholm and his team will collaborate with you on designing a personalised treatment plan, scheduling a convenient date and location for your surgery, and providing all preoperative and post-operative instructions.
Your appointment with Dr. Beldholm can be scheduled at two convenient locations:
- 30 Belmore Rd, Lorn NSW 2320: a beautiful converted heritage building in the Hunter Valley.
- H+ Consulting Suites, Cooks Hill Healthcare Hub, Suite 3, 235 Darby Street, Cooks Hill NSW: a modern facility in the heart of Newcastle.
- Virtual consultations are also available
It can be quite overwhelming when you consider having surgery and often it can be hard to remember all the information that we have provided you. We therefore provide you with written information about your procedure as well as an option to come back and have further follow up consultations with Dr Beldholm at no additional charge.
Preview Your Breast Augmentation Results with Crisalix 3D Imaging
Most women find it difficult to decide on an exact size for their breast implants. Dr Beldholm uses a range of methods to help you decide on sizing.
From Options include Crisalix 3D imaging, that you can view at home, to trying the actual implant on in a sports bra. You also have the option of coming back several times to the office to try your selected implants on.
We normally order a range of implants that might suit you in advance so you will have an opportunity to change your mind right up to your operation.
Disclaimer: 3D imaging software shows an optimal result. Your actual results may vary.
Step 2: Your Surgery
Dr Beldholm performs Breast augmentation in private hospitals in the Hunter Valley:
- Maitland Private Hospital
- Hunter Valley Private Hospital
Stage 1: Breast Lift Surgery
The breast lift is performed initially. Dr Beldholm makes incisions that vary based on the type of breast lift you need. He then removes the excess skin and repositions the areolas. When he closes the incisions, the breasts take on a perky, lifted appearance.
Stage 2: Breast Implant Surgery
Six months later, he performs a second operation to place the implants. During breast augmentation, he makes an incision on each breast, then he dissects a pocket for the implants. He places the implant above the muscle, below the muscle or using a dual-plane approach. Afterward, he closes the incisions.
His technique is all about gentle handling of tissues, and minimising bruising and bleeding.
There are normally no drains used for this operation and all the stitching is done with absorbable sutures that do not need to be removed.
The operation is normally a day operation, however you can stay overnight in the hospital if you like.
Step 3. Postoperative Care and Recovery
Recovery will vary for each individual. Everyone heals differently, and some patients experience more pain and downtime than others. Complications are possible no matter who performs your surgery. To promote the safest surgery and recovery possible, please follow all pre- and post-operative instructions.
Here is a general timeline of the recovery:
- Some discomfort for the first few days that varies from patient to patient.
- Ability to lift your arms up above your head within a few days.
- Procedure is a hospital day stay only.
- Most patients only need simple pain medications such as panadol.
- No drains required.
- You can shower the next day.
- You are provided with two compression garments.
- Breast massaging is not required.
- No strapping required.
- If you have a desk job, then you should be able to go back to work in three to five days.
- Full exercise with no restrictions after four weeks.
- Breast swelling is pronounced during the first two to four weeks. It can take up to a year for all the swelling and inflammation to resolve, allowing the breasts to settle into their final position.
Individual results may vary*
Step 4. Follow up Care
Your procedure is not considered complete until Dr. Beldholm has met with you to follow up after your operation. He will ensure that the healing process has gone according to plan and that all the expectations discussed in your one-on-one consultation have been met.
You will generally see the doctor on the day after the operation and also in 1 month, 3 months and 6 months following surgery. These appointments are included in the surgical fee.
His refined surgical techniques result in strategically placed scars that are usually hidden from view.
The breast will initially feel firm. This firmness will start settling at around 6 months. Once you reach 12 months your breasts should be soft and move naturally.
We have created an extensive program after you leave hospital to maximise wound healing and recovery.
This includes a course of LED light treatments, silicone scar strips, and Laser Genesis.
What breast implant shape, size and position do I choose
“For the right candidates, a breast lift with implants can achieve perky breasts with enhanced fullness, cleavage and forward projection.”
Dr Bernard Beldholm FRACS
To view the Breast Lift Before and After gallery, please click here.
- R Glen Calderhead, Won-Serk Kim and David B Vasily “Adjunctive 830 nm light-emitting diode therapy can improve the results following aesthetic procedures” Laser Ther. 2015 Dec 30; 24(4): 277–289.
- Kim, W. S. & Calderhead, G. R. (2011). “Is light-emitting diode phototherapy (LED-LLLT) really effective?” Journal for laser surgery, phototherapy and photobioactivation, 20(3): 205-21
- Becomes 3. Pompei S; Evangelidou D; Arelli F; Ferrante G. “The Modern Polyurethane-Coated Implant in Breast Augmentation: Long-Term Clinical Experience.”. Aesthetic Surgery Journal. 36(10):1124-1129, 2016 Nov.
- Becomes 4. Vazquez, G. “Polyurethane-Coated Silicone Gel Breast Implants Used for 18 years”. Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, 2007.
- Becomes 5. Handel, N. “Long–term safety and efficacy of Polyurethane Foam-Covered Breast Implants.“ Aesthetic Surgery Journal Vol.26 2006
- Becomes 6. Hester T.R., Tebbbets, J. Maxwell, G.P. “The polyurethane-covered mammary prosthesis: Facts and fiction (II).“ Clinics in Plastic Surgery Vol.28 2001
- Tebbetts JB. “Achieving a predictable 24-hour return to normal activities after breast augmentation: part I. Refining practices by using motion and time study principles.”. Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery. 109(1):273-90; discussion 291-2, 2002 Jan.
- Tebbetts JB.”Achieving a predictable 24-hour return to normal activities after breast augmentation: part II. Patient preparation, refined surgical techniques, and instrumentation.” Plast Reconstr Surg. 2002 Jan;109(1):293-305; discussion 306-7
Breast Augmentation and Lift gallery
Disclaimer: Individual results vary. All surgery carries risks & you should seek a second opinion before proceeding. See full Disclaimer