Dr Bernard Beldholm FRACS M.B.B.S, B.SC (Med)
Dr Bernard Beldholm (MED0001186274) M.B.B.S B.Sc (Med) FRACS, is a Registered medical practitioner, Specialist surgeon (specialist registration in Surgery – general surgery).
Dr Bernard Beldholm emphasises compassion and individualised care; he and his friendly staff are dedicated to making each patient feel comfortable. They go above and beyond to make each patient’s experience as good as possible. Dr Bernard Beldholm has performed body contouring surgery for more than a decade. While Dr Beldholm performs a range of cosmetic surgical operations, his current focus is body contouring for mothers and post-weight loss patients, including Abdominoplasty, Mastopexy, Breast augmentation, Brachioplasty and Thighplasty.
Dr Beldholm’s Academic Background
Dr. Beldholm’s extensive educational background demonstrates his lifelong commitment to excellence. In 1994, he began attending medical school at the University of New South Wales (UNSW) in Sydney. A student dedicated to his studies, he graduated several years later with a Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (M.B.B.S) and Bachelors of Medical Science (B.SC). After finishing his university studies in 1999, he completed his required internship and residency training in 2000 and 2001. The following year, he began his surgical training with the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (RACS). He later progressed to more advanced surgical training through the organisation. After finishing his specialist general surgical fellowship through RACS, he completed an additional two years of training in cosmetic surgery through the Australasian College of Cosmetic Surgery (ACCS, now ACCSM). Through this multi-disciplinary fellowship, he performed more than 530 cosmetic surgeries under supervision before eventually opening his practice in Sydney & Newcastle.
Dr Beldholm’s Approach to Body Contouring Surgery
“I love what I do, and I’m passionate about it. Providing patients with a great surgical outcome is my goal.”
Dr Beldholm takes pride in being a compassionate doctor and specialist surgeon who puts the needs of his patients first. He utilises the most advanced surgical techniques to help provide his patients with desired results. He stays on the cutting edge of technological and surgical developments in surgery to provide his patients with the best possible recommendations, treatments and outcomes. He knows that talking about their concerns or “flaws” can be awkward and maybe even a little embarrassing for some patients. That’s why from the moment a patient sets foot inside his facility his goal is to help them feel at home and as comfortable as possible. Treating patients with the sincerity, respect and dignity they deserve is paramount to him.
Dr Beldholm in the Media
If Dr Beldholm’s face perhaps looks a little familiar, it could be because you may have seen him on your local news. He’s been featured on numerous TV shows in Australia including The Morning Show and 9 News. Below, you’ll find a few screenshots from some of his media appearances over the years.
A Featured Guest Speaker
According to Dr Beldholm, a part of being a professional is to share your knowledge with your peers. After all, this is how medicine advances and surgeons provide better results for their patients. In fact, he often has surgeons visiting with him to learn different cosmetic surgical techniques.
- Smoking Bad For Beauty and Surgery
- Fat Grafting Still in its infancy
9 May, 2009 ACCS conference, “Pneumothorax after breast augmentation recognition and treatment”
9 May 2005 ASC (Annual Scientific Meeting – Perth), Free paper presentation; “Surgical Experience with Post Infarct Left Ventricular Free Wall Rupture”
9-13 May 2005 ASC, Poster Presentation; “Comparison of subareolar and peri-tumoural injection of Radiocolloid or blue Dye in Identifying sentinal lymph nodes”
9-13 May 2005 ASC, Poster Presentation; “Comparison of using Patent blue dye and technetium 99m in identifying sentinal lymph nodes”
14 Aug 2004 Registrars paper, Poster presentation: day “Surgical experience with post infarct ventricular ruptures”
Dr Beldholm strongly believes in research and evidenced based medicine. Dr Beldholm has several research projects currently underway in tummy tuck surgery and breast surgery. He has also had several research articles published in peer review journals:
Beldholm, B.R. New trends in abdominoplasty using liposuction. Journal of Cosmetic Surgery & Medicine. Volume 7, Issue 1, 2012 (click here to download the article)
Beldholm, B.R. Necrotising Fasciitis and Cosmetic Surgery. Journal of Cosmetic Surgery & Medicine. Volume 6, Issue 1, 2011, http://www.jcsmonline.com
Beldholm, B.R. (1st author), Lee A U, A simple endoscopic technique for retrieving a long foreign body from the stomach. ANZ Journal of Surgery. 77(7):560-1, 2007 Jul
Beldholm, B.R.(1st author), Lee A U, No laughing matter, MJA, 185(11/12):606 , 2006 Dec
Beldholm, B.R.(1st author), P. Grant, C Manganas, Surgical experience with post infarct left ventricular free wall ruptures, ANZ journal of surgery, 75(suppl.): A35, 2005 May
Beldholm, B.R.(1st author) et al, Comparison of subareolar and peri-tumoural injection of radiocolloid or blue dye in identifying sentinal lymph nodes, ANZ journal of surgery, 75(suppl.): A32, 2005 May
Beldholm, B.R.(1st author).,Dr. F. Bonar, Comparison of using patent blue dye and technetium 99M in identifying sentinal lymph nodes,ANZ journal of surgery, 75(suppl.): A32, 2005 May
Beldholm, B.R(1st author)., Wilson, M., Gallagher, R., et al. Reconstruction of the trachea with a tubed free radial forearm flap. Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, 126(2):545-50, 2003 Aug
Training in specialist surgery is important to make sure that you can perform the range of surgery offered, Dr Beldholm has stressed. The most critical training that he has done is:
Specific Training in Cosmetic Surgery
Clinical training in cosmetic surgery
- 2 years of cosmetic surgery rotations
- Surgical training log book containing 531 cosmetic surgery cases
Cosmetic surgery specific examinations done at the end of ACCS training
- ABCS (American Board of Cosmetic Surgery) independent cosmetic surgery exam
- Oral Viva Voce; 30 minute 5 member panel viva on Clinical Cosmetic Surgery cases and treatments passed.
Courses in Cosmetic Surgery
- Review course in Cosmetic Surgery, Sydney NSW 12-14 February, 2010
- Liposuction Courses and Workshops
– Liposuction Basic Workshop 13-15 March 2009, 3 full day course, Sydney
– Liposuction Advanced Workshop 2-4 May 2009, 3 full day course, Sydney
– Liposuction “Tumescent VASER Liposuction Basic Workshop – Hands On training” 3 day work shop, 17-19 April 2010
Dr Beldholm operates in Sydney, Newcastle & Canberra in fully accredited private hospitals. Maitland Private Hospital has an ICU and provides the opportunity for Dr Beldholm to do higher risk patients.
- Maitland Private Hospital
- Hunter Valley Private Hospital
- Canberra Private Hospital
- Waratah Private Hospital in Sydney
- When Dr Beldholm isn’t performing cosmetic surgery, he enjoys:
- Flying airplanes
- Playing tennis
- Keeping fit
- Spending time with family
- Dr Beldholm has three children, a teenage daughter and young twins, a boy and a girl.
- He finally got married in 2021 after having been engaged for 11 years! In the past, life has had a tendency to get in the way a bit–especially with twins–and, of course, a busy practice.
- A native of Sweden, Dr Beldholm moved to Australia in February 1994 to study medicine and experience the world. He loves the country’s beautiful landscapes, rich history, delicious cuisine and friendly people.
- Dr Beldholm’s interest in surgery began at just 10 years old. For a brief moment, he even wanted to be an astronaut, but that interest didn’t last long. His desire to one day be a highly sought-after surgeon has never wavered. “I knew I wanted to do cosmetic surgery before I started medical school, and it has never changed,”
- Although Dr Beldholm’s job as a specialist general surgeon keeps him pretty busy, during his downtime, his favourite flicks from the “big screen” tend to be Sci-Fi movies like The Matrix, Alien and Star Wars. “Yes, I’m a nerd,” he jokes.
Disclaimer: Individual results vary. All surgery carries risks & you should seek a second opinion before proceeding. See full Disclaimer