As seen on television
Accentuating your feminine curves and enhancing the shape, size, and symmetry of your breasts can help to revitalise your self-image.
Breasts can lose their natural fullness and begin to sag due to aging, weight loss or breastfeeding. Some women are simply unhappy with the size, shape, symmetry, or position of their breasts.
Breast augmentation with lift can enhance or restore the natural beauty of your breasts, improving size and restoring fullness and projection. This not only enables you to wear the clothes you want but may also result in renewed confidence in your appearance.
With the advancement of Breast implant technology, Breast augmentation and lift is one of the most commonly-requested cosmetic procedures in recent years.
There are generally two approaches that are possible.
One stage Breast Augmentation with lift operation
If you have depleted empty breasts and would like both fullness and a lift in one procedure then this is a great option.
The one stage operation is most suitable for women that have at the most a B to a C cup in size, where the main issue is saggy empty breasts.
Dr Beldholm’s patients love the fact that they don’t have to have a staged operation with 2 recovery periods, and having to wait 12 months for the final result.
Two staged operation Breast lift with a secondary breast augmentation
If you have larger breasts than a C cup then the one stage approach is not suitable for you. This is because in larger breasted women the revision rate is very high and it is very difficult to get a good result as a one stage operation.
Normally if you have very saggy breasts that are on the larger side the best option is to perform a breast lift first. If after this you like to enhance your upper breast fullness an implant may be needed, and this would be planned approximately 6 months after your initial breast lift. This approach minimises potential surgical complications and provides a great result.
A large majority of women who initially have a breast lift, find that the do not feel the need for an implant later on.
Our plan for you
1. Call (02) 4934 5700 for an appointment.
2. Meet with Dr Beldholm for your consultation and 3D imaging.
3. Start your Breast Augmentation & lift surgical journey.
4. Enjoy your amazing results!
4 steps to a successful breast augmentation with lift
As a patient of Specialist Cosmetic Surgery you will be guided through a 4-stage process designed to meet all your unique needs and expectations of surgery.
Dr Beldholm and his staff are here to guide you through and make sure that you get the best possible result. We focus on making you comfortable and answering all your questions.
From patient coordinator, receptionists, practice manager to Dr Beldholm. We are here to assist and guide you through your very personal surgical journey.
Step 1: Private Consultation
There are many options for your surgery and these will be discuss with you during your consultation. Dr Beldholm will recommend an option that is customised for you and your body based on his vast experience, having performed thousands of surgical procedures over the past decade.
The decision to undergo any surgery will be made after it has been determined that it is safe for you to do so and that the results will match your expectations.
By the end of the consultation your questions and doubts will be answered and you can make a fully-informed decision.
If you decide to proceed, Dr Beldholm and his team will collaborate with you on designing a personalised treatment plan, scheduling a convenient date and location for your surgery, and providing all preoperative and post-operative information.
Your appointment with Dr. Beldholm can be scheduled at two convenient locations:
- 30 Belmore Rd, Lorn NSW 2320: a beautiful converted heritage building in the Hunter Valley.
- 18 Lambton Rd, Broadmeadow, NSW 2292: a modern facility in the heart of Newcastle.
It can be quite overwhelming when you consider having surgery and often it can be hard to remember all the information that we have provided you with. We therefore provide you with written information about your procedure as well as an option to come back and have further follow up consultations with Dr Beldholm at no additional charge.
Your 3D consultation with Dr Beldholm
Most women find it difficult to decide on an exact size for their breast implants. To help you Dr Beldholm uses a range of methods to help you decide on sizing.
From 3D imaging, that you can view at home, to trying the actual implant on in a sports bra. You also have the option of coming back several times to the office to try your selected size implants on.
We normally order a range of implants to be available for your operation, so that you have an opportunity to change your mind right up to your operation.
Step 2: Your Surgery
Dr Beldholm performs Breast augmentation in private hospitals in the Hunter Valley:
- Maitland Private Hospital
- Hunter Valley Private Hospital
One stage breast augmentation with lift
The breast augmentation is performed initially. Rapid recovery technique is used for the breast augmentation to achieve the best possible result from surgery. The rapid recovery technique is all about gentle handling of tissues, and minimising bruising and bleeding to the breast tissue.
The breast implant is most commonly inserted under the muscle and a dual plan to reposition the breast tissue. Once the breast implants have been positioned correctly the pocket and incision is closed.
The second part of the operation is to perform the breast lift. This is usually performed with either a superior pedicle lift or a medial pedicle lift. The lift is shaped around the implant to give you a full lifted breast.
There is normally no drains used for this operation and all the stitching is done with absorbable sutures that do not need to be removed.
The operation is normally a day stay only operation, however you can stay overnight if you like.
Step 3. Postoperative Care and Recovery
Recovery from a Breast Augmentation will vary for each individual. In the majority of patients the recovery is quick.
This is what you can expect
- Some discomfort for the first few days that varies from patient to patient.
- Ability to lift your arms up above your head within a few days.
- Procedure is a hospital day stay only.
- Most patients only need simple pain medications such as panadol.
- No drains required.
- You can shower the next day.
- You are provided with 2 compression garments.
- Breast massaging is not required.
- No strapping required.
- If you have desk type job, then you should be able to go back to work in 3-5 days.
- Full exercise with no restrictions after 4 weeks.
- Breast swelling is expected in the first two weeks and settles around 4 weeks.
Individual results may vary*
Step 4. Follow up Care
Your procedure is not considered complete until Dr. Beldholm has met with you to follow up after your operation. He will ensure that the healing process has gone according to plan and that all the expectations discussed in your one-on-one consultation have been met.
You will generally see the doctor on the day after the operation and also in 1 month, 3 months and 6 months following surgery. These appointments are included in the surgical fee.
The refined surgical techniques result in strategically-placed scars that are hidden from view and will become almost imperceptible over the course of a year.
The breast will initially feel firm. This firmness will start settling at around 6 months. Once you reach 12 months your breasts should be soft and move naturally.
We have created an extensive program after you leave hospital to maximise wound healing and recovery.
This includes a course of LED light treatments, Silicon scar recovery strips, and a course of Laser genesis.
What breast implant shape, size and position do I choose
“A breast augmentation and lift is effectively two procedures in a single operation. Patients are able to, not only, to increase the size of their breasts, but also improve the overall shape and position. Many women are thrilled to know that it is possible to perform this surgery in one stage and not to have to have two operations and wait 6 to 12 months for their final result. I’m very glad to be able to offer this procedure and have found the highest satisfaction rate in post pregnant women that have lost volume in their breasts.”
Dr Bernard Beldholm FRACS
To view Dr Beldholm Before and After gallery, please click here.
PEER REVIEW JOURNAL ARTICLES THAT SUPPORT THE WAY THAT WE DO THINGS
- R Glen Calderhead, Won-Serk Kim and David B Vasily “Adjunctive 830 nm light-emitting diode therapy can improve the results following aesthetic procedures” Laser Ther. 2015 Dec 30; 24(4): 277–289.
- Kim, W. S. & Calderhead, G. R. (2011). “Is light-emitting diode phototherapy (LED-LLLT) really effective?” Journal for laser surgery, phototherapy and photobioactivation, 20(3): 205-21
- Becomes 3. Pompei S; Evangelidou D; Arelli F; Ferrante G. “The Modern Polyurethane-Coated Implant in Breast Augmentation: Long-Term Clinical Experience.”. Aesthetic Surgery Journal. 36(10):1124-1129, 2016 Nov.
- Becomes 4. Vazquez, G. “Polyurethane-Coated Silicone Gel Breast Implants Used for 18 years”. Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, 2007.
- Becomes 5. Handel, N. “Long–term safety and efficacy of Polyurethane Foam-Covered Breast Implants.“ Aesthetic Surgery Journal Vol.26 2006
- Becomes 6. Hester T.R., Tebbbets, J. Maxwell, G.P. “The polyurethane-covered mammary prosthesis: Facts and fiction (II).“ Clinics in Plastic Surgery Vol.28 2001
- Tebbetts JB. “Achieving a predictable 24-hour return to normal activities after breast augmentation: part I. Refining practices by using motion and time study principles.”. Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery. 109(1):273-90; discussion 291-2, 2002 Jan.
- Tebbetts JB.”Achieving a predictable 24-hour return to normal activities after breast augmentation: part II. Patient preparation, refined surgical techniques, and instrumentation.” Plast Reconstr Surg. 2002 Jan;109(1):293-305; discussion 306-7